As Life in Calgary Magazine stated, “Calgary is ranked among the world’s cleanest, healthiest and safest cities in numerous international studies, and is a global leader for overall quality of life.”
Therefore, you can see why plenty of people move to live in Calgary. You could also understand why with such demands and an extensive array of options, it can be challenging to find homes to rent in Calgary – particularly if you are looking for cost-effective, affordable alternatives.
However, with the right process, you will be able to narrow down your search. Utilizing our extensive guide below can find you affordable houses to rent in Calgary.
Figuring Out the Parameters of Your Calgary Rentals Search
- Draw up a budget and calculate how much you have to pay in rent. Depending on how many bedrooms you want in a house, as well as amenities, your rent will vary. According to Rentals.ca, in July 2020, the average rental cost of a 1-bedroom property in Calgary was $1092, a two-bedroom property was $1335, and a three-bedroom property was $1420. With this foundation, you have a general idea of what you are expected to pay for rent.
- You should also follow along with the 30% rule, where you “shouldn’t spend more than 30% of our gross (pre-tax) income on rent“. This will safeguard against you struggling to afford your living expenses.
- Keep your house rentals near your work, children’s school, or at least close to public transport. You want your rental house to be located somewhere that will be convenient, saving you time in transport and money. It should be noted that you shouldn’t necessarily rent a property that is ideally located but above the 30% rule.
- Also, note down the amenities that you would like in your house. Do you want a yard or to be close to malls and local stores? Making a list can help narrow down your search.
- If you are struggling, contacting a property management company in Calgary can be beneficial as they will assist you with your search.
Methods for Finding Rentals in Calgary
With a firm foundation of what you would like to have in a rental home and what you can afford, you can begin to apply these methods.
- Begin your search online to get a sense of property values in your ideal areas. As there are a lot of different rental search engines available, alongside property management search options, you can narrow your search based on your parameters.
- Speak to friends, family and colleagues about available options that they might know about. You will be surprised to find that lots of people know of somewhere that’s available.
- Go old school by looking up print media options. Newspapers, for example, often have listings. However, they will not have as many listings compared to websites.
- Don’t rely solely on the Internet to find your rental property. While online sites are useful in terms of getting information and guiding you, they are not entirely reliable. Contacting a real estate agent or a Calgary property management company can help locate the best properties for you while providing more insight and information.
Deciding on The Right Calgary Rental for You
- Consider the length and details of the rental contract. Make sure the agreement is what you want and something that you can afford. If there are any questions, make sure you ask the landlord, property manager or real estate agent.
- Also, consider the reputation and name of the landlord or property manager. You want to make sure you know you’re in good hands and not with controlling owners.
- Does it have a few of the amenities you would like? While it might be challenging to get everything you want, having a few homely perks can really make your choice simpler.
- As much as you would like to find a house to rent in Calgary, you can always opt for apartments or condos. They might be significantly cheaper and can save you money in the long-term.